Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Colorado photographer
Author Message
anilasjackaas Offline
Gremlin
**

Posts: 9
Joined: Aug 2019
Version: None
Post: #1
Colorado photographer

Pennsylvania photographer Parlor car 20, now serving as the East Broad Top's first class coach usually appendaged to the end of the train, had been constructed in 1882 by Billmeyer and Smalls and was subsequently acquired from Big Level and Kinzua in September of 1907 for use as Railroad President Robert Seibert's personal coach.

Several other types make up the fleet, including flat, box, baggage, freight, and track cars, motorcars, cabooses, and diesel locomotives.
Today's tourist trains continue to depart from the "Orbisonia" station, a wooden, two-story, clapboard depot located on the north side of Meadow Street, just beyond the crossing point from the shop complex. It served as the railroad's operating headquarters after it moved from its initial, Marble House residence on a ridge behind the shop buildings. According to Vagel Keller, of the Friends of East Broad Top-a 501.c.3 historical and preservation society-"the current Orbisonia station (is) located in the borough of Rockhill Furnace, while the namesake is one-forth of a mile east... The station at this place was originally known as 'Rockhill,' and in 1888 the village got a post office called 'Rockhill Furnace.' Apparently, this caused misrouting of mail intended for an older post office in Pennsylvania named 'Rockhill,' and at about the same time that the current station was being built in 1906, the US Postal Service asked the East Broad Top to rename the station to avoid confusion... Paradoxically, the re-named 'Orbisonia Station' hosted the Rockhill Furnace post office until shortly after the end of common carrier operations."

https://henryimaging.com/
09-06-2019 05:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)